I wonder how much cpu share each Workload Prioritization type (oltp, olap) of scylladb has

There are two workload types in scylladb other than the default value, but it doesn’t seem to be specified in the documentation how much cpu share this option has.

interactive - workload sensitive to latency, expected to have high/unbounded concurrency, with dynamic characteristics, 

OLTP; example: users clicking on a website and generating events with their clicks batch - workload for processing large amounts of data, not sensitive to latency, expected to have fixed concurrency, 

OLAP, ETL; example: processing billions of historical sales records to generate useful statistics

Even if I check the related PR, it is not specified how much cpu share the corresponding workload type takes.
May I know the relevant code?

Hi @Stewart_Han ,
It is not about cpu shares, the workload type is used by ScyllaDB to decide on the proper action during
excesive load on the system.
For batch workloads , where the concurrency is bounded, we can throttle the load by delaying
answers to the client, this in turn will make him send less requests per second for each thread.
For interactive workload, throteling doesn’t make much sense since the requests are not queued on
the client side so the only resort is to fail early and signal to the client that we are overloaded (OverloadedException), this behaviour is a little bit speculative since we need to predict in advance our ability to serve a specific requests withing the timeout limits.

Here is a pointer to the code where we drop requests for interactive workload if we predict that we will
not be able to meet the timeout:

If the workload is not interactive scylla will just continue normally, assuming that the workload will converge to the maximal throughput possible.

1 Like

thanks for your reply!

1 Like